Rotating Header Image

History

The Tyalgum District and surrounding ranges is the traditional country of groups belonging to what is today referred to as the Bundjalung Nation. The area contains a number of places of particular cultural value and significance to the Traditional Owners. These include meeting and ceremonial grounds, campsites and story places.

The area in and around Tyalgum was first settled by Europeans in the late 1880s, the surrounding forests being a source of highly prized cedar. Some of the timber was milled in the village and the rest transported by bullock teams to the Tweed River and floated to Tweed Heads. Land was thrown open to selectors in 1903 and dairy and beef cattle farms joined logging as key industries supporting the growth of the District. The name Tyalgum is derived from ‘Tall Gums’.

Today logging has ceased and the rationalisation of the dairy industry has resulted in a number of properties being sub-divided into smaller parcels. Nevertheless agriculture remains a core part of the local economy.dsc00257 This presently includes beef and dairy farming, aquaculture, organic farming, crops such as bananas, coffee and herbs; together with farm forestry and plant nurseries. Cottage industries have emerged to value add to many of the local crops.

In recent times artists and craftspeople have established local businesses, and information technology has allowed businesses to be conducted from home offices. Tourism based on the district’s natural and rural landscapes, country lifestyle, festivals, arts and crafts and outdoor recreational activities, is a growing industry.

Tyalgum Village

The chosen site for the village, near where the Tyalgum and Pumpenbil Creeks cross, was known locally as ‘The Flat’ and was proclaimed as the village of Tyalgum on 22 December 1906. A number of the early village buildings are still here, providing tangible reminders of the past: some are now 100 years old. The history of their use reflects the changing pattern of our village and valley life.

dsc00383
Tyalgum Hall

After the Tyalgum Hall was built and officially opened on 13 May 1908, it became known as the Mechanics Institute. In the ensuing years the name was changed to the Tyalgum Literary Institute Hall. Over the years the hall has hosted numerous community activities from Debutante Balls to film nights and trivia nights. It has been the meeting place for important community organisations such as the RSL and Red Cross. It has also until recently, when our new pre school was opened, been the home of the pre school and play group.

It is currently the location of the Tyalgum District Community Association office, the meeting place of several community committees, and is also the home of the renowned Tyalgum Festival of Classical Music.

dsc00380

Other early buildings included the Tyalgum Public School established in 1907, as was an ES&A Bank building, now occupied by Reynolds Stockbrokers. Foster’s Store opened in 1908 and the current Tyalgum General Store was built in 1921, with the original timber slab store still existing on the site and now an art gallery.

The Norco Butter Factory, officially opened in 1923, operated for over twenty years. The old Norco building has been the site of Bartrim’s Garage since 1972.

imag0088
The Norco Butter Factory

A family business opened in 1946, the garage was originally (c1906) located in the building on the corner of Cudrigan and Coolman Street. Flutterbies Cottage Café and the Little Shop Next Door now occupy the buildings originally a butcher and baker’s that opened in 1926.The Tyalgum Hotel was also established in 1926 and continues serving locals and visitors today.